Cheater Cheater!

Why do students cheat? That’s an important question that we often don’t ask ourselves. I have a tendency to get mad about cheating rather than ponder this question.

I think many students cheat because they are worried about their grade, they don’t want to do the work, and/or they aren’t aware that they are cheating. Whatever the reason is, it’s our job as educators to make sure that we’re meeting our student’s needs. Whether that be education on what is plagiarism and cheating, or making ourselves available to students so that they are comfortable asking for help and don’t need to resort to cheating. I also think we need to motivate students to enjoy learning.

This isn’t all on us, much is on the students to make sure that they are taking responsibility for their own education and learning. I think working with mentors and making sure that they are aware of the issues that we have and how to stop them is a great place to start. I also think that making it clear to students what we consider cheating is crucial. If they aren’t aware of your policies, how can we expect kids to know? We all know what they say about assuming right?

Image result for school Cheating meme

Published by

Katie Bouldin

I have been teaching for 3 years. My first teaching job was a long-term subbing position at Standish and Sterling Elementary Schools. I understand that this isn't exactly an official teaching job. However, I did all of the things that a regular teacher would do. My first “official” teaching job was at Arenac Eastern Schools where I taught Music, Drama, and Computers for Kindergarten through 12th grade. I worked there up until last year when my school closed down. Now I work for Michigan Virtual and own a photography business on the side. Some of my favorite hobbies include sewing, hunting and fishing, and spending time with my dog Maggie.