Stakeholders point of view: Parents

I took the time to interview my good friend Brianna Kuchek (Permission to post name and answers obtained) about her daughter’s education and the process of online learning, its impact, & her interest in it. 

I was very interested in her answers when it came to her perspective as a stakeholder. She had many misconceptions before we became friends about what online learning is and what it entails. She had considered online learning as something for students who had no other choice. Knowing me, she now realizes that it’s a valid option for students who want to learn a specific subject.

Bri said that she would be interested in possibly choosing a class for her daughters to take when they’re in middle/high school. They go to a school that doesn’t have as many options when it comes to art or supplemental classes for her daughters to take.

I learned about Brianna’s misconceptions when it came to online learning and I think her’s are similar to what other people feel when it comes to online learning. Many people aren’t aware that these classes are classes that people can take if they just prefer online learning, need to make up a credit, or even if they just really like that subject.

I was surprised to learn that Brianna would be interested in having her girls take some online classes in the future. We actually had a nice conversation about when the girls could take a class and what type of classes they may decide to take in the future.

I’m very happy that I had this conversation with Brianna. I learned a lot about her and what she see’s online learning being and I also got to have a great conversation with her. 

Published by

Katie Bouldin

I have been teaching for 3 years. My first teaching job was a long-term subbing position at Standish and Sterling Elementary Schools. I understand that this isn't exactly an official teaching job. However, I did all of the things that a regular teacher would do. My first “official” teaching job was at Arenac Eastern Schools where I taught Music, Drama, and Computers for Kindergarten through 12th grade. I worked there up until last year when my school closed down. Now I work for Michigan Virtual and own a photography business on the side. Some of my favorite hobbies include sewing, hunting and fishing, and spending time with my dog Maggie.

One thought on “Stakeholders point of view: Parents”

1. What a great outreach, Katie. You’re right that misconceptions abound for online learning, and it can be so much more than a “last resort” for students! I think about all the ways this could open up course offerings for students when they might be in a smaller school with less course options. Kids like to learn about what they are interested in, and they’re motivated when it’s a topic they find relevant or have a passion about. I love that we are able to provide so many learning opportunities and options for students!